- The Work Begins and Ends at Hyung-yul’s House
- 1 One day, Sahng-jeh-nim said to Hyung-yul, “Buy a cow head and steam some rice cake.” When the food was laid out under the persimmon tree at Hyung-yul’s house, Sahng-jeh-nim called the spirit Mahn Su and sang the “Sung-ju Song”:
- 2 Pine seeds received from Jeh-bee Hall
in Ahn-dohng, Gyung-sahng Province,
were thrown upon small and large fields.
- 3 Exposed to dewdrops in the night and sunshine in the day,
the seeds have grown to become
chung-jahng trees and hwahng-jahng trees,
great pines with expansive branches.
- 4 Those trees become the beams of the Peace Palace.
Hail Mahn Su, hail great spirit.
- 5 Please come down to this place.
Here the beginning will arise; here the ending will finish.
- 6 After singing this, Sahng-jeh-nim, looking toward Geum-sahn Temple, said, “Should I make this place here the main house or a minor house?” He then buried the cow head.
- (JSD Dojeon 3,9)